Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No White Christmases in Texas


It's nearing Christmastime in Texas, and it's nowhere near white. It's definitely still green, with a little brown. I found a little red when I finally realized that the tall shrub in our front yard was HOLLY!

It didn't occur to me what it was until I got into Christmas mode a few weeks ago, and remembered that my Texan aunt used to mail holly to us this time of year. Who knew!

This morning, at 6am, it was 73 degrees; kids at the school bus stop were wearing shorts. It's supposed to get up to the 80s today.

I have to say that I'm excited to fly back to Minnesota next week and see everyone, but I'm not looking forward to the cold, ice and snow! =P

In the meantime, enjoy this pitch-perfect song for our first Christmas, Texas-style:

If you dream of horse-drawn carriages
Dashing through the snow;
Before you move to Texas
There's something you should know ...

That they don't have White Christmases in Houston.
I've lived here most my life and I should know.
I've prayed and I've pleaded for way too many years
But they just don't have White Christmases down here.

I've heard of winter carnivals in Aspen.
It looks just like a winter wonderland.
But remember while you're freezin' throughout this Christmas season
We'll be down here with Christmas cheer and flip-flops in the sand.

I've seen all those Christmas shows on TV.
Blankets of white powder; my, how grand!
But while you've got snow and holly, I'm feastin' on tamales;
Sittin' on my back porch with an iced tea in my hand.

That they don't have White Christmases in Houston.
I've lived here most my life and I should know.
I've prayed and I've pleaded for way too many years
But they just don't have White Christmases down here.

No comments: