Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Where I'm Supposed to Be

Every once in a while, when I'm involved in some very mundane task of motherhood, a little thought creeps into my head: Shouldn't you be doing something else? Something exciting, something productive, something visible to the rest of the world? If only they could see you now...

This thought popped into my head today, after lunch. I was sitting on the bathroom floor -- at the foot of the toilet, back against the tub -- with a desperate, crying, teething baby clawing at me in my lap, and a toddler balanced on the potty asking me the name of every single unpronounceable dinosaur in a 239-page book. I pondered the thought for a second, and concluded quickly, "No. This is important. This means something. This will amount to something, someday. I'm supposed to be right here, right now. Nowhere else."

And, extraordinarily, I felt completely at peace with myself and my role as a stay-at-home mom, serving two small children who can hardly do anything for themselves. Thank you, Lord, for that moment of consolation and affirmation. Please help me hold onto it! =)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my dear dear Stella. You quite frankly said it all: "serving two small children". How incredibly profound.

How I long to spend time with you and the little ones. Perhaps soon!!!

xoxo,
+ lucienne

Unknown said...

Well I hope that you can take some time to relax soon, Anna!!
Check out my new blog... Fudgesickles somehow got messed up...
psychoblogger6.blogspot.com

:P
Love Melissa

Anonymous said...

Profound! Reminds me of the wise-beyond-her-years Lakeville H.S. athlete who "can only run" but trusts God to do great things with that running.