Friday, February 8, 2008

"I want to do it!"

Is there anything sweeter to a mother's ears than this phrase? I think not. Every time Boo Boo says it to me -- a few times a day -- my heart swells with gratitude.

Though we've had limited success with Boo Boo's potty training, his newfound confidence has ushered in an unprecedented era of independence.

As of the last week, he's started dressing and undressing himself, including shoes, socks and jackets. He's opening and closing the minivan door, and buckling himself into his car seat. Before, had absolutely no interest in any of these activities.

Little brother has even been inspired. He's been obsessed with the potty seat, now that big brother is using it, and I've been shooing him away from it. Finally, I let him have his way, and he climbed up onto it by himself and sat. Of course, nothing happens -- except him reaching down and trying to touch the toilet water! But at least he's more willing to sit on the potty than big brother these days.

Praise God for these small, simple gifts!

No comments: