Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Ash Wednesday Already?

Lent has been sneaking up on us this year, as it so very early. I've been wanting to post something about it to make myself commit to some resolutions. In the past, I've preferred to add things rather than give up things for Lent; every season for the last four years I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding!

Reading Danielle Bean's blog today helped narrow my focus on the real question and purpose of Lent: What is standing between you and greater holiness? How are you going to get rid of it? What is your plan?

Where do I start?! ;-) Of course, it's MYSELF that stands in the way of holiness and the person God wants me to be. Probably the best way to get over myself is to strengthen my self-discipline and create habits that lead to holiness by doing very small, practical things.

(This is when I usually hesitate. I don't want to go overboard and assign myself too much to do -- then get overwhelmed and worry about failing! =P)

Here's my plan:

1) During "quiet time" every day, kneel down and read that day's reflection from "In Conversation with God; then do at least five minutes of personal prayer.

2) Every time I get in the car, grab the rosary and say an Our Father, Divine Mercy Chaplet or rosary with the boys (depending on the length of the drive).

3) Give bottles of water and granola bars to anyone begging on the street.

4) On days of fasting, have only one full meal and two snacks. Other days, do not eat between meals.

For Lenten guidelines and ideas, head here. Otherwise, God be with you during this time of fasting, prayer and almsgiving!

2 comments:

Megan said...

Way to go!! I'm proud of you and your Lenten plan!! I hope some of it will rub off on me!!

Seasonal Learner said...

Ah. Good idea. My goals are to 1. give up processed sugar especially desserts and 2. to do a quiet time every day. I think that is all I can manage this year.