Saturday, May 17, 2008

Smoking Guns

We had a quintessential Texan experience today: we shot a pistol at a shooting range. And yes, you read that right!

Neither of of us had ever really seen, held, heard or shot a gun before today. But we couldn't resist the opportunity to see what it's like. (When else would we have a chance to do something like this?!)

One of Dear Husband's colleagues invited some folks over today for a trip to the rifle range and a late lunch; they even volunteered to watch the boys!


We learned a lot about how to handle and shoot a pistol -- thanks to a friend who patiently showed us the ropes.

Dear Husband turned out to be a really good shot and even got a few "bullseyes," if you will. (Though he did get reprimanded for rapid fire. Ha!) I wasn't nearly as good; it took me at least five rounds to even hit the paper target, and I still hardly got a shot on the actual target area. I could not believe how hard it was to shoot the pistol; I was completely exhausted after holding and firing the gun for a while, and my hands really started to hurt. (I can't imagine how soldiers do it all day, for months on end!)

We're both glad we had the experience, but we don't think we'll need to do it again. It's a one-time, Texas thing I think...

1 comment:

Megan said...

I'm impressed!!! I'll have to remember to stay out of DH's way!!!