Sunday, May 11, 2008

Empty Tank, Empty Hearts

All the fish are gone. They've been given away to some gracious friends who've promised to give them good homes.

Once we knew we were moving back to Minnesota I knew we had to give them away -- it was only a matter of time. First went Siegel and Samuel to one friend, who passed them on to others. Then went Little Red to a sweet little girl for a birthday present. Then went Spike and Whiskers to another friend who wanted them for her daughter.

The tank is empty, drained and drying now. But I keep looking at it, looking for our fishy friends. Every time I come home I glance in that direction, expecting to be greeted by them. When I wash dishes at the sink, there's no one to entertain me.

I am a little embarrassed to admit this, but I miss those fish! Boo Boo was admirably good-hearted about seeing his pets doled out, and it was a relief for me to have them taken care of -- and not have to maintain the tank in our last weeks.

But still, they were our first family pets. They'll always hold a special place in our hearts, no matter how many fish we get, or flush, in the future.

No comments: