Monday, April 21, 2008

Phenomenal Moment of the Day

When I was a little girl, my mom would spend hours pushing me in our tire swing in the backyard, singing to me. She'd also recite poems from "A Child's Garden of Verses."
How do you like to go up in the swing, up in the air so blue?

I have continued the tradition with Boo-Boo; often, when I push him, I recite "The Swing" by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Oh, I do think it the pleasantest thing ever a child can do.

Tonight, after dinner, our little family went to the neighborhood park so the boys could blow off some steam. We pushed them in the swings for a while, then took a break on a bench.
Up in the air and over the wall till I can see so wide.

Boo Boo started pushing an empty baby swing, so I went over and plunked X-Man in it. This was the first time BB agreed to push his little brother in the swing himself -- a wonder in itself. X squealed with delight, showing off his dimple.
Rivers and trees and cattle and all, over the countryside.

Dear Husband and I were chatting on the bench, when I heard snippets of something familiar, something Boo Boo was saying a few yards away. I stopped our conversation so I could hear better.
Till I look down on the garden green, down on the roof so brown.

Could it be? Could it really be? Yes. Boo Boo was reciting "The Swing" to his little brother, passing on the family tradition. God bless him!
Up in the air I go flying again; up in the air and down.

No comments: